LOST MANSFIELD # 15: THE LUCIEN FREEMAN HOUSE, SPRING HILL.
This Cape-style house was formerly an ell built at the east side of the dwelling of Skiff Freeman, Jr. at the corner of East Road and Storrs Road. The ell was built for his son Shubael when he married Polly, daughter of Silas Hanks, in 1810. Following his father’s death in 1847, Shubael had the old house torn down and a new dwelling constructed on the site (now 3 East Road}.
Shubael’s son, Lucien Freeman, then relocated the ell to the northern end of land given to him by his father. He lived there with his wife, Olive Cole Freeman (m. 1846) until his death in 1900. The house, locally known as the “Old Red House”, later passed to his granddaughter, Ethel E. Freeman. She lived there for some years but finally had the aged dwelling torn down.
This series is made possible by a Capacity Building Grant from The Last Green Valley, Inc.