The Mansfield Historical Society, founded in 1957, preserves and interprets over 300 years of Mansfield history through exhibits, programs, research and publications. Located at 954 Storrs Road (Route 195), about one mile south of the University of Connecticut campus, the Society maintains a museum and research library in the former Town Office Building and the adjacent Old Town Hall, built in 1843.
The museum presents annually changing exhibits and has an active educational outreach program. Our collection is comprised of over 7,000 artifacts — including some 3,000 photographs, furniture, decorative arts, costumes, tools, and materials relating to local industries and agriculture.
The Mansfield Historical Society is a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization, supported by our members and our endowment, with additional grant funding. We have one staff person and an Executive Council elected each September by our membership.
Dedicated volunteers help to maintain our museum and its collections, prepare exhibits, provide tours, and assist in staffing the museum during its open season. We hold regular meetings, publish a newsletter, and offer public programs several times a year.
Our Society has an active Research & Publications Committee and has produced thirteen publications to date. We have received numerous awards of merit and other recognitions for our publications and efforts in promoting interest in local history. We invite you to join our Society!
Location: Across the street from the Altnaveigh Inn and the First Baptist Church.
Hours: The museum and library are open on Saturdays and Sundays, 1:30 – 4:30 p.m., June through September and at other times by appointment.
Admission: $2.00/person. Free to members and children ages 12 and under.
Tours & School Programs: Special tours and school programs are available with prior arrangement. Please contact the Museum Director for further information.
Mansfield Historical Society
P.O. Box 145
Storrs, CT 06268-0145
Phone: (860) 429-6575