LOST MANSFIELD # 14: THE JABEZ SEARS HOUSE, SPRING HILL.
This house, designed by Edwin Fitch, was built 1842-43. By 1850, it was in the possession of Albert Storrs and was later inherited by his son, Edgar Storrs. Sheep were raised on the 50 plus acre farm. Following Edgar’s death, his wife Annie Storrs resided there for many years until the house burned April 20, 1932. The present house (1017 Storrs Road) was built on the site following the fire.
This modest Greek Revival house reveals its stylistic roots in the rectangular gable window with medallion ornaments and the paneled pilasters at the corners of the house. The front porch and side ell are later additions.
This series is made possible by a Capacity Building Grant from The Last Green Valley, Inc.