LOST MANSFIELD # 4: THE ISAIAH RAMSDELL HOUSE. In 1838, Edwin Fitch built this house for Isaiah Ramsdell.
It is a simpler version of Fitch’s Charles Trumbull house built three years earlier (580 Storrs Road). It has many of the same Greek Revival architectural elements. The Victorian porches were added in the 1870s when George B. Baldwin and his wife, Rebecca G. Ramsdell (daughter of Isaiah) were residing there. The last owner was Elsie Marsh, Mansfield’s first librarian. The house was destroyed by fire on October 21, 1923. It was located at the junction of Route 89 and Center Street.
This series is made possible by a Capacity Building Grant from The Last Green Valley, Inc.