LOST MANSFIELD # 5: THE WILLIAM SIMONDS HOUSE.
This two-story frame house was built in 1877 for the William Simonds family. It was the boyhood home of Clarence E. Simonds, later a Willimantic physician. It burned to the ground on April 6, 1909 when the Jesse L. Eno family resided there.
Nothing but a few pieces of furniture could be saved. The Enos soon built a new house on the same site, completed that October. It is located at 41 Chaffeeville Road. In 1960, Lloyd and Gwen Duff, then the owners, established the Holiday Recreation Center and Holiday Hill Day Camp on the property.
This series is made possible by a Capacity Building Grant from The Last Green Valley, Inc.