LOST MANSFIELD # 7: THE MANSFIELD CENTER DISTRICT SCHOOL.
As early as 1794, a schoolhouse stood on this site in Mansfield Center. The earlier schoolhouse was replaced by this brick building, constructed in 1833. It served as the Mansfield Center district school until 1924. The conference room for the First Congregational Church was located on the school’s second floor.
The Mansfield Center Library was organized in 1907. It was first housed in the Congregational church and later moved to the conference room in the schoolhouse. In October of 1925, the old brick schoolhouse was turned over to the Mansfield Center Library Association. The building was demolished and in 1926 a new town library was constructed on the site. A fine example of the Federal Revival style of architecture, the building served as the town library until 1972. By then it had been outgrown. The library relocated to its present site in the former Buchanan School in 1974. Today the former library building is a private home.
This series is made possible by a Capacity Building Grant from The Last Green Valley, Inc.