The season’s exhibits are “Master Builder Edwin S. Fitch” and “Calude’s Place” – photography by James S Klar.
This year due to a conditional assesment of both the old town hall and the historic grange building, the old town hall will house two exhibits.
Edwin S. Fitch, Master Builder and Architect
In the front room, there is an exhibit about Edwin S. Fitch, a master builder-architect active in the 1830s through the 1860s. The best known example of his work is the Fitch House in Mansfield Center. This grand home that Edwin Fitch built for his bride in 1836 introduced the Greek Revival style to Mansfield. Other examples of Fitch’s work can be found throughout northeastern Connecticut and many have been photographed for this exhibit.
“Claude’s Place,” a series of silver images by noted photographer James S. Klar are also on display. These photographs were taken in 1978-1980 at the Mansfield farm then owned by Claude McDaniels. The 18th century farmhouse is now being restored by its new owner, Greg Cichowski. Photographs of the restoration work in progress compliment the Klar photograph exhibit, providing an interesting before and after component.
The research library will be open for access to the general public during the mueum’s normal operating hours and by appointment.
The museum and research library are open to the general public Saturday and Sunday afternoons, 1:30 – 4:30 p.m., June 4TH through the end of September. Visits to the museum outside of these hours is by appointment only. Please call the muesum’s director Ann Galonska at (860) 429-6575 to make arrangements.